Three credit options are available through Canyons Virtual High School. To register for a course with these options, use the CVHS Registration system.
Original Credit is earned for courses taken for the first time, or for courses repeated in order to improve a student’s GPA when a letter grade is desired.
- No pre-tests exist which would allow students to skip course content.
- Students must work through the course sequentially (NCAA requirement).
- A proctored exam must be passed with at least 60% proficiency. Except Driver’s Ed, pass rate is 70%. Proctored test may be taken twice.
- A letter grade is awarded for successfully completing the course. (Driver’s Ed courses are for credit and earn a letter grade).
Credit Recovery (Make Up) Credit
Credit Recovery (Make Up) Credit Pass (P) grade can be earned for successfully completing credit recovery courses. Student MUST have previously taken an Original Credit version of the course in order to enroll in a Credit Recovery course. If a student wants a letter grade for credit recovery, the student should enroll in the Original Credit course and utilize the grade replacement option.
- Credit Recovery for a “P” grade has proctored pre-tests that allow students to demonstrate knowledge and skip course content.
- Pre-tests may only be taken once every school year.
- Students must only complete content in modules for which they did not demonstrate competency in a pre-test.
- Students may review all course modules.
- A proctored exam must be passed with at least 60% proficiency. Proctored test may be taken twice.
- A “passing” grade (P) along with course credit will be awarded for successfully completing the course.
Students may choose to test out of a course by taking a comprehensive test out exam in a proctored setting.
- If students pass the test with at least 60% proficiency, they earn credit with a passing (P) grade.
- If students do not pass the test with at least 60% proficiency, they may take the full course online for credit if desired.
- Students may attempt to “test out” of a course no more than one time per calendar year.