Frequently Asked Questions

FAQWho can take classes at CVHS?

Canyons Virtual High School courses are available to Utah High School students enrolled in grades 9-12.

How many credits can I earn through the Canyons Virtual High School? 

Generally, students can take up to six (6) credits through the Canyons Virtual High School. These online credits replace six credits students would earn in a traditional high school classroom. However, students who have established a plan with their counselors to graduate early may be able to take more than six credits. Please consult your school counselor for more information.

How much do classes cost?

Canyons Virtual High School classes are free of charge to all Utah High School students who take no more credits in a semester than they would earn by taking a full course load during a regular school day. 

I’ve missed some credits in high school. Can I make them up here?

Yes! Canyons Virtual High School courses are designed to replace courses you normally would take at school, even if you are carrying a full course load during the regular school day. Students who choose to complete courses through CVHS may register for up to four (4) credit courses at any one given time. Once any of the four courses have been completed or dropped from the student's scheudle, additional courses may be taken.

How long can I take to finish a course?

CVHS courses have been designed for students to complete in 10 (or less) weeks. However students are able to set and work at their own pace. All students are urged to complete their course(s) as soon as they're able, in order to receive full instructor support.  Please click this link for course access dates and availablity.

Can I move quickly through the course? 

Yes! Students set their own pace at Canyons Virtual High School.  A student must come in for a proctored test for each quarter credit, as it helps to verify the authenticity of student work.  For more information about proctored tests and locations visit this link.

What if I get stuck and need help? 

Each course has a teacher who is available outside of the usual school hours. Students will hear from these teachers regularly, and may ask their teachers questions or seek assistance through e-mail.   Students are also encouraged to submit a "Help Ticket", through your CVHS registration account, for any technical issues they may have. 

How do I sign up?

First, you need to decide what courses and the type of credit do you need. CVHS offers original, credit recovery, and test out credits. For more information about the types of credit offered through CVHS click here. We recommend that you talk with your parents; then see your high school counselor. Courses you take need to be a part of your Course Credit Acknowledgement (CCA).  You may also contact CVHS or an online provider directly. Once you have decided what courses and the type of credit you need, click this link to visit the CVHS Student Registration site. This site will require that you log in. If you are a current Canyons School District student use your current CSD username and password. (It's the same one you use to access Skyward.) If you are not a current Canyons District student please register with the Statewide Online Education Program registration page first and will help you through the process from there.

For more information about our online registration process visit this link.

How soon can I start? 

Please click this link to see the current registration periods.  It's important to know that the registration process may take a few days to complete.  Be sure to check your Canyons District email account for login credentials.

If enrolling under the SOEP program, then please note that SOEP requires that students sign up for classes no later than the first 10 days of the term, unless the student does not have a full class schedule at his or her high school. Students with less than a full schedule can add online courses at any time. Additionally, students enrolled in a home school can register anytime.  Be sure to request your course through the SEATS website.

If a course requires a proctored test, where and when can I take that test?

All of our courses require a test that is a proctored (supervised) and in-person test. (Unless you reside more than 30 miles from a Canyons District School.  You will be able to take proctored tests in multiple locations. For more information about proctored tests and locations visit this link.